Cosmetic injectables are becoming more and more popular as the years go on. Fillers are a great non-invasive treatment for patients seeking to restore volume and a rejuvenated appearance. Check out the below infographic which includes five interesting facts about cosmetic injectables.
Restore your natural rested, rejuvenated appearance today! Dr. Annie Chiu is a national trainer for dermal fillers and offers a range of injectables at her Manhattan Beach practice.
Botox is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures currently on the market. Its non-invasive, long-lasting solution that requires no downtime makes the procedure appeal to men and women alike. Most commonly known for treating dynamic facial wrinkles, Botox can also be used for a variety of concerns. Dr. Annie Chiu created the below infographic on three unexpected uses for Botox:
1. Botox in your scalp aka “BLOW-TOX”. Wish your blow out would last longer? There’s help! Botox in the scalp decreases oil and sweat production on the scalp, which are the pesky things reverts your hair to its pre-blowout frizz. Now get longer lasting smooth blowouts with BLOW-TOX!
2. Fillers in the earlobes. Have you noticed droopier earrings when you wear them? Or the pierced earlobe looking elongated? With time, collagen loss occurs in the earlobes and they flatten, and the weight of earrings can make the lobes look saggy and draggy. A smidge of filler in the earlobes can correct this instantly and get those diamond earrings to frame your face beautifully again.
3. Kybella in the armpit pooch. Summer is here, and strapless dresses reveal that little pooch of fatty skin under the arms no matter how thin you are! Consider Kybella, the first FDA • Approved injectable that dissolves fat. In a single session you can get PERMANENT fat reduction in this area!
4. Voluma for a non-surgical rhinoplasty. Annoyed by a flattened profile, a slightly not straight nose, or a bump on the nose? Juvederm Voluma when used in expert hands like Dr. Chiu and yield AMAZING non-surgical instant results. She can straighten a crooked nose, build height to a flat bridge, refine and tilt up the tip. Our patients think the results are truly magical. Lasts up to 2 years!
5. Sculptra for vertical boob lines. Notice when you wake up in the AM, there are creases on your chest and especially on between your breasts? This gives the chest a saggy, aged appearance. Sculptra, typically in 2 sessions, rejuvenates this area beautifully, improving both the skin texture, correcting the lines and giving the breasts a subtle lift. A must treatment for those who like V or plunging necklines!
Advanced techniques of injectables can be used to correct all sorts of problem areas you never thought there was a solution for. Feel free to call our office (link) for any additional information. We are experts at keeping you looking and feeling confident and beautiful in your skin.
Consider doing yourself a favor: ditch the deodorant and have a sweat free summer this year: one of the most successful treatments our patients love is the use of Botox for underarm sweating.
or inconvenient sweating is referred to as hyperhidrosis, and could happen to any body part. This includes soles of the feet, palms, underarm area, and the face. Hyperhidrosis affects 7.8 million of the U.S. population, so this is a more frequent issue than you may have thought. Most of us treat underarm sweating as part of daily life with the use of deodorants and antiperspirants. But when antiperspirants are not enough, or you are just sick of dealing with deodorant, or those pesky sweat marks are ruining your clothing, Botox can be the solution to your problems!
Here are some signs your sweat is getting in your way and a little Botox can help:
Your white shirts or other clothing are sometimes ruined by sweat stains
You are avoiding certain clothing fabrics/colors
Antiperspirants/wipes/towels don’t totally control sweating for an entire day, and at times causes irritation
High drycleaning bills to remove underarm sweat stains
Botox for sweating or hyperhidrosis works to suppress chemical signals used to
activate sweat glands. Therefore, with inactive chemical signals, sweat gland production significantly slows down. Using Botox as a treatment for excessive sweating is the best way to prevent staining of any of your delicate clothes, or maybe it is finally the reason to try that color you can’t wear because of sweating. Get rid of those annoying trips to the dry cleaners and that fear of sweat marks when raising your arms!
Sweating is a necessary part of body temperature regulation. However, injecting the underarm with Botox does not have a negative effect to the body’s need to regulate its own temperature. The underarm area houses less than 2% of the body’s total sweat glands, thus the body still has 98% active sweat glands. In addition, the body would not need to compensate itself by sweating more in other sweat glands.
The Derm Institute offers a quick, convenient, and painless treatment to improve your summer lifestyle—Botox for underarm sweating. Dr. Chiu often says this treatment pays for itself with the amount you save on drycleaning! The procedure typically lasts from 10-15 minutes, and uses a very fine needle to inject around 50 units of Botox per underarm area. What about the pain factor? Rest assured, the actual injection hurts far less then waxing. Results should start to kick in within 2-4 days of treatment, taking up to 2 weeks for the full effect, with results lasting from 7-12 months. As always, Dr. Chiu and TDI are always here for your questions and concerns. Give us a call with any questions that you might have, and we hope to see you soon! Here’s to wearing white again and to a fuss free dry underarm!
Botox is increasingly being used in other areas beside the traditional forehead and eye areas. Newer techniques never “freeze” the muscles, but actually just allows a more relaxed, rested look. The average spend to treat multiple areas with Botox for patients is around $500-$600, with results lasting 3-4 months. That is less than having a weekly blowout for your hair!
1. Microdroplet Technique.
Uses tiny amounts of Botox in a wide area instead of traditional injection points to give the face a lifted and tighter appearance, along with reduced pore size.
2. Lifting the Nose Tip.
Aging results in a downturning of the tip of the nose, elongating the look of the nose. A few drops of Botox in just the right muscle can relift the nose and dramatically change the angle and proportion of the nose to the face.
3. Neck Bands and the Nefertiti Jawline Lift.
We start developing neck banding that pulls down the jawline as early as in our 30s. Botox, and the other neuromodulators on the market such as Dysport and Xeomin can be used to relax these bands, and allow the jaw to lift. This is an easy way to tighten the neck, and give definition to a loosening jawline.
Botox can be used to reduce sweating under the arms, on the palms, and even the soles. Underarm sweating can be reduced for 7 months to 12 months, eliminating the need for deodorant for a lot of our patients! Our patients swears this procedure pays for itself in drycleaning bills and white or silk shirts not ruined!
5. Botox for Masseter Muscles to Contour the Face, Reduce Teeth Grinding, and Modify TMJ symptoms.
Often patients with a “wider” or more square or jawline is a result of masseter muscle hypertrophy. These are the muscles we overuse when grinding the teeth. Treating these muscles with Botox can reduce the grinding and help with TMJ discomfort. For those with a bottom heavy or more square jawline, Masseter treatment with Botox can dramatically soften the face and contour a more heart-shaped appearance that is pleasing to the eye.
6. Gummy Smile.
If you notice in photos or with laughing that you have more gum showing, it may be distracting from a beautiful smile. Only a couple of expertly placed units can dramatically improve this problem, and makes patients incredibly happy!
7. Downturned Corners of the Mouth.
As we age, the corners of our mouth become more downturned, resulting in a less pleasant and sometimes unhappy appearance. Requiring only a very small number of units, we can relift the corners of the mouth for a more balanced, relaxed appearance.
8. Smoker’s Lines.
Chronic puckering of the lips can lead to vertical lip lines that age the lower face. A few units of Botox can help relax these lines and avoid the “smoker’s lines” appearance. Deeper, etched lines can be treated with a filler like Restylane Silk along with Botox to relax these muscles.
9. Orange Peel Appearance of the Chin.
Chin dimpling gives an “orange peel” appearance to the chin as the muscles in this area become stronger over time. Treatment of the mentalis musle in the chin can bring back proportion to the face and smooth the chin.
10. Botox For Oily Skin.
Microdroplets of Botox can be used to reduce chronically oily skin on the face as oil production in sebaceous glands can be reduced by the use of Botox. The appearance of pores will be tightened as well.
With the recent chatter about Renee Zellweger and other alleged celebrity dramatic changes in appearance, we hear a lot of concerns from patients about cosmetic procedures making them look “fake” or “done”. At The Derm Institute, we have lots of secrets to keep your look refreshed without changing who you are. We want everyone to feel confident and comfortable in their own skin, and we know how to simply make you look like the very best version of YOU.
One of our favorite products to achieve the soft, natural and rested appearance is with the filler product Juvederm Voluma. Voluma is made of a patented cross-linking of a naturally derived sugar molecule called hyaluronic acid. This VyCross technology gives Juvederm Voluma a more significant lifting effect and longer lasting results than other cosmetic fillers currently on the market.
Voluma utilizes your own body’s natural ability towards hydration around sugar molecules like hyaluronic acid. The injected Voluma attracts water and collaborates with collagen for production of elasticity and volume in sunken areas of the face to bring a natural, softer, rejuvenated appearance.
Voluma is classically used on mid-face areas such as the cheeks, as they do drop with gravity over time. The first signs of a sunken and tired appearance are normally at the mid-face/cheeks. The cheeks have the greatest surface area on our face compared to the rest of our face. So it is best to keep the cheeks higher for a seemingly rested face, and to reflect light flatteringly instead of a shadowed, tired appearance.
When youthful volume is restored in the cheek area, a natural luminous glow appears furthering an appearance of rejuvenation and rest. Think about the glow makeup artists strive to create using “highlight powder” on high point areas such as the cheek bone. Lifting facial features with Voluma is achieving this from the inside out. Recent studies also show Juvederm Voluma may also induce local collagen production, giving the skin texture a brighter, dewy appearance. Our patients are loving their results.
Dr. Chiu is a master Juvederm Voluma injector, and she utilizes it not only for cheek lift, but also to rejuvenate hollowed temples and undereye areas. Non-surgical shaping of the nose and chin augmentation can also be done beautifully and naturally with Juvederm Voluma. Dr. Chiu can add additional lift to a flatter nose, or build a soft chin that augments the heart shape of the face. This is an extremely popular procedure among our Asian patients.
With predicted last time of around 18-24 months. Voluma is great for a natural and rejuvenated appearance while avoiding the “taut” and “fake” look. Results are seen immediately, with a chance of bruising for 2-7 days after the procedure with slight redness for the first few hours.
Looking dewy fresh and rejuvenated without looking “done” or looking like you “tried” is an art. Luckily TDI and Dr. Chiu has the tools to master this art, you just need to provide us with the canvas! For more questions please call us at or email to schedule a free consultation on how you could look more rested. Dr. Chiu and TDI are always here for you!
Injectable treatments can plump thin lips, enhance shallow contours, soften facial creases, remove wrinkles and improve the appearance of recessed scars. With little to no recovery time and impressive results, injectables are a valuable alternative to more invasive cosmetic surgeries. If you’re considering your first injectable treatment, you may be wondering which is right for you. Learn more about the two main types of injectable treatments available and how they work.
. . . Shared by Dr. Chiu and The Derm Institute Team
We all want satiny smooth skin, unfortunately big pores often stand in the way of having that. Here is The Derm Institute’s Tips on minimizing the appearance of large pores.
There are a number of factors that will cause large pores, but of the many, there are three main culprits. The first one is age. As we age we will naturally lose the elasticity in the surrounding skin that supports the pores, causing pores to appear bigger than they actually are. Secondly, men are more likely to have larger pores compared to women from their genetic makeup and increased oil production. And last but not least, our body uses a substance called Sebum, which naturally hydrates our skin to prevent from drying. This substance however is very oily and individuals who produce more than average will find that oily skin causes larger pores.
The good news is you can make your large pores appear smaller and here’s some quick how-to’s:
One of the easiest and quickest ways to reduce large pores is implementing a daily routine of constantly keeping them clean. Use a mild cleanser twice a day and exfoliate so that your skin doesn’t become overly dry. You can consider a cleanser that contains a gentle lactic or salicylic acid to declog the pores.
Removing dead skin cells from the upper skin layer to brighten skin texture and get rid of heaped up cells surrounding and in the pores. Removing the dull layer of dead skin cells on top of your living skin layer gives you brighter, smoother, more radiant looking skin with a velvety soft texture. You may want to think about investing in the Clarisonic Mia which uses sonic energy and the vibrations of a brush to pulse your cleanser down into your pores. Oil and clogged pore debris can then be lifted out of the pores. Empty pores look cleaner and smaller because the black appearance oxidized pore debris make pores look more obvious.
The use of topical treatments such as retinoids, salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acid or benzoyl peroxides will not only reduce the size of the pores but will also aid in the destruction of bacteria that cause acne and treat sun damage.
If you still feel like your pores look big with the tricks I’ve mentioned above. You may need a little extra help. There are many dermatological advances in skincare which has led to the development of a number of effective treatments for large pores. If you have large pores, you may benefit from the following treatments:
4. Chemical Peels:
Our team at The Derm Institute will work with you to transform your complexion into beautiful, healthy-looking skin. Our chemical peels use varying types of prescription-strength acids including salicylic, lactic, retinol, and trichloroacetic acid to remove your outer layers of dead skin – revealing the fresher, healthier, softer skin underneath.
Fractional Non-Ablative Laser Skin Resurfacing works beautifully to create micro-zones of collagen boosting to reveal fresher, smooth skin. It can minimize the appearance of pores as well as acne scars. Downtime is minimal with some mild redness and flaking. Typically a series of even 2 treatments is enough for long-lasting results.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments are also fantasticfor refining the texture and appearance of pores. Skin feels incredible after even a single treatment. IPL causes tightening of the pores, gives the skin an overall glow, and addresses any unwanted red or brown spots.
7. Photodynamic Therapy:
Photodynamic Therapy uses a light activated solution to improve the skin texture by minimizing the size of oil glands on the face. Typically 1-2 treatments can address pore size significantly, as well as reducing signs of early sun damage.
8. Smart Makeup:
If you suffer from large pores your first instinct may to immediately reach for that makeup bag to reduce their appearance. But wait! Before you rush into it, double check that you are using the correct products first. What you want is a product that is an oil free formula without a lot of talc, which can actually settle into the pores and make them appear larger.
Dr. Chiu and her medical team are personally involved in every treatment here at The Derm Institute. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about any of the procedures. To learn more about treatments at The Derm Institute or to schedule a free consultation, contact us by phone or email today.
. . . Shared by Dr. Chiu and The Derm Institute Team
Whether you want to fade fine lines, get rid of flaky patches, or just up your overall glow, these six procedures can help. From anti-wrinkle procedures to skin-sloughing treatments, here are six ways to keep your skin smooth starting this New Year.
1. Start with something basic, like moisturizer. Some moisturizers are not very moisturizing. A lotion may smell good and look nice, but if you can’t tell you put it on five minutes after you put it on, it’s not doing much. Dr. Annie Chiu recommends switching to heavier, thicker products that contain humectants, which attract moisture to skin, when the weather gets colder. One of our favorite’s at The Derm Institute is, SkinMedica’s Dermal Repair, it works like a multi-vitamin for the skin by using nourishing ingredients to support the skin’s barrier and improve signs of dry aging skin. SkinMedica’s Dermal Repair Cream offers intense skin hydration and helps replenish firmness and moisture.
2. Shaving. In the morning: Many women shave their legs with regular bar soap. But soap plus the calcium in hard water forms a gummy coating and makes skin drier than soap alone. Use a body wash, a soap alternative. *The Derm Institute Tip: Shave every day to every other day, with a body wash or shaving cream, with warm not hot water. A razor removes the protective top layers of your skin, along with hair. When you do de-fuzz, choose a four-blade razor — it offers the closest shave, allowing you to use a gentle hand, which preserves natural moisture — and opt for a hydrating shaving cream, not gel.
3. Chemical Peels, a common cosmetic procedure, works by removing your skin’s outer layer by exfoliating the skin and removing dead cells on the surface. Dr. Chiu’s Physicians Blends allows you to enhance exfoliation to promote a healthy, more radiant layer of skin while boosting collagen production. Most peels can be used on any part of the body, the most popular being the face, neck, décolleté, arms and hands.
4. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Photofacial to address any brown spots or broken blood vessels. Dr. Chiu’s IPL Photofacial utilizes Intense Pulsed Light for a gentle treatment that is safe, painless, and requires no significant recovery time. IPL sends light through the skin to target the undesirable tissue, and leaves the surrounding tissue unharmed. The process is gradual and, collagen production is stimulated, rejuvenating the skin, shrinking pores, and giving the skin an overall glow. After about 5 days of very minimal “beauty downtime”, this procedure will reveal new glowing skin with improved texture, pores and decreased wrinkles. The result is healthier, younger looking skin.
5. Photodynamic Therapy. The Derm Institute uses a LED (light-emitting diode) that produces a narrow spectrum light to boost collagen, which creates plumper, younger-looking skin, or to kill the bacteria that causes acne. LED photo facials are painless, cool and relaxing, and carry no risks. The best results come after a series of photo facial treatments. LED photo facials are a good choice for people who want to boost collagen or treat acne. Their collagen-boosting, facial rejuvenation properties have been proven with medical research. The results won’t be as dramatic as plastic surgery, but it’s a gentler, more natural, less expensive way to go.
6. If you’re not wearing sunscreen: Start now. It won’t get rid of the lines you have, but it will prevent new ones from forming. Begin using a prescription retinoid cream nightly; Dr. Chiu often recommends Renova because patients find it less drying than other formulas. You’ll notice lines softening in two to three months.
If you want to be more aggressive, you could try Botox, a favorite here at The Derm Institute. Botox is a botulinum toxin that blocks the nerve impulses that cause muscle activity—and expression lines. Dr. Chiu can inject it around the eyes, between the brows, across the forehead; the lines in those areas then fade away over about a week. Fine lines are generally about 20 percent genetic and 80 percent environmental (in other words, brought on by the sun and smoking). They usually occur in the most expressive areas of your face—like around the eyes and forehead.
. . . Shared by Dr. Chiu and The Derm Institute Team
Dr. Annie Chiu, Board-Certified Dermatologist and Owner of The Derm Institute, welcomes you to her Boutique Style Dermatology practice, where we believe that healthy, beautiful skin should be attainable for every patient. Serving Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach and Palos Verdes, our uniquely friendly and compassionate team is committed to delivering superior service and results in an intimate, comfortable, and relaxing setting. We are dedicated to making our patients feel special, glowing, and happy with their skin every day. At our practice, Dr. Chiu personally consults with every patient, providing physician quality care.
Dr. Chiu specializes in a results-driven approach to skincare and cutting-edge advanced technique cosmetic procedures. Her use of artful, subtle cosmetic rejuvenation with multiple techniques including Botox, fillers, chemical peels, the latest lasers, radiofrequency skin tightening, CoolSculpting for body contouring, and tailored cosmeceuticals, is well known throughout the South Bay and Greater Los Angeles Area. Dr. Chiu is a nationally recognized Master Injector and Advanced Trainer for all your Botox and Filler needs. The Derm Institute also provides the Beach Cities community with a full range of medical dermatology, including a multidisciplinary approach to acne, skin cancer diagnosis, and surgical treatments for benign and malignant growths. Throughout her career, Dr. Chiu has been honored with various top doctor and patients’ choice awards. Read More